Why Write?

Shakespeare knew long ago that comfort can be found in the written word:

Give sorrow words, the grief that does not speak
Whispers the o'er fraught heart and bids it break.

Studies in recent years have confirmed that creative expression improves physical, emotional, and social health. And the more we write, the better we feel and the more we grow.

This site is designed for anyone who wants to write. Each week I'll offer at least one poem, reflection on something I've read, tidbit about the craft of writing, or some other nugget about life, and also a prompt to get you started. And then it's up to you. Through these exercises, I hope you'll learn to release tension, process memories, and embark on a new journey of self-discovery.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

After They're Gone

I had a record number of views on my blogs this past Monday, which is my usual day of posting. But I didn't post that day so it makes me wonder why so many viewers. It's almost as if I have more readers when I don't have anything to say, or maybe it's just a case of absence making the heart grow fonder.

There's something about human nature that makes us care more about the individual, and what she stands for, after the fact. When someone we had right in front of us disappears, we then decide how valuable he or she was and are willing to forgive and forget.

I know there have been people in my life who meant a lot to me, and I never really told them. There have been people, too, who meant a lot to me but I didn't realize it till much, much later.

This week, think of someone who you now appreciate but who you didn't value as much in the past. Write a letter to him or her, expressing your gratitude. It doesn't have to be a letter you really send, although you certainly could. Just acknowledging your appreciation in the privacy of your own words can help set you free.

No comments:

Post a Comment