Why Write?

Shakespeare knew long ago that comfort can be found in the written word:

Give sorrow words, the grief that does not speak
Whispers the o'er fraught heart and bids it break.

Studies in recent years have confirmed that creative expression improves physical, emotional, and social health. And the more we write, the better we feel and the more we grow.

This site is designed for anyone who wants to write. Each week I'll offer at least one poem, reflection on something I've read, tidbit about the craft of writing, or some other nugget about life, and also a prompt to get you started. And then it's up to you. Through these exercises, I hope you'll learn to release tension, process memories, and embark on a new journey of self-discovery.

Monday, December 7, 2009

Ultimatums

I wrote in my other blog today about ultimatums. They serve a purpose: they set boundaries and clarify who is in control. Sometimes they may seem to work, but there is always a hidden cost.

Dorothy Parker began her poem, "Ultimatum," this way:

I'm wearied of wearying love, my friend,
Of worry and strain and doubt;
Before we begin, let us view the end,
And maybe we'll do without.
There's never the pang that was worth the tear,
And toss in the night I won't-
So either you do or you don't, my dear,
Either you do or you don't.

Spend some time thinking about an ultimatum you've experienced. It might be one you issued to another person, or one that was imposed upon you. It could have been something that happened in school or at work, or something between you and another individual in your personal life. Reflect back on what worked, and what the costs may have been, and how the situation could have been handled. Then, write about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment