Why Write?

Shakespeare knew long ago that comfort can be found in the written word:

Give sorrow words, the grief that does not speak
Whispers the o'er fraught heart and bids it break.

Studies in recent years have confirmed that creative expression improves physical, emotional, and social health. And the more we write, the better we feel and the more we grow.

This site is designed for anyone who wants to write. Each week I'll offer at least one poem, reflection on something I've read, tidbit about the craft of writing, or some other nugget about life, and also a prompt to get you started. And then it's up to you. Through these exercises, I hope you'll learn to release tension, process memories, and embark on a new journey of self-discovery.

Monday, December 14, 2009

Christmas Memories

For many of us, this time of year means a flood of memories from years gone by. We remember the joys of the Christmas season, but the holidays can also highlight our losses. As hard as it is, we need to try to keep it all balanced.

Writing about the good times, and the losses, can help maintain that balance. And when writing to process memories, sensory imagery works wonders. When you describe the memory, put yourself back there, almost as though you were hypnotized. What did you see? Smell? Hear, taste, or feel? What did you sense?
For me, Christmas is all about family: both the joys and the losses.


I remember, in my childhood, the sounds of Mitch Miller singing Christmas carols and the jingle of bells everywhere. I remember the smell of fresh-baked cookies as the season progessed and of roast turkey on that special day. No matter which year I think back to, I can see the twinkling lights, the glimmering ornaments, the palette of reds and greens and golds and silvers. I can still feel snowflakes on my tongue when I think about it. I remember the acidic wine that my parents used to pour, only on special holidays.

Those were the good times. As for losses, it's almost the opposite. I hear the silence in our home; I see a naked tree longing to be dressed. I feel the emptiness, sometimes as though I were living in a vacuum. But then the snow flits down from the sky and I run outside, stick out my tongue. It's cold and sticky and wet and tastes exactly as I remember, and that makes me smile.

So now it's your turn. Write down your joyous memories and your painful ones and then explore them with all your senses, and see how you feel when you're done. My guess? A little more in balance, and a little more grateful.

2 comments:

  1. Christmas memories vary for me, depending on my age. But one constant is excitement.

    When I was young, the wrapped presents under the tree were mountains for little toy cowboys and Indians to climb, and there was a magic excitement in anticipation of what will become.

    When I had young children, the excitement was in the surprise and hopefully joy that would be expressed as they explored what Santa brought. Getting took a back seat to giving, along with the excitement of getting everything done before the time ran out.

    Now it's not quite as fun. It's more about getting it over. It's lost a little magic in the clamour to be perfect. I'm hoping to remember to simplify next year, and magnify what is important -- family and friends (and maybe not eat quite as much either).

    Maybe I should catch a snowflake with my tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the challenge as we age is to still find the magic in the little things in life, whether during the holidays or later in the year. Try this: make a list of the 12 months, and think of one thing each month that might still hold magic for you. A snowflake, a red valentine box of chocolates, a daffodil. And then, as each month arrives, make a point of studying, and appreciating, those things on your list.

    ReplyDelete